Breakfast Skillet with Spinach, Mushrooms and Got Cheese
This recipe is one of our favourites from Food Network. It combines sautéed mushrooms and garlicky spinach with runny yolk eggs. The beauty of this recipe is that you can swap out ingredients with potatoes, , zucchini, chorizo.
All images © Food Network
What you will need:
1. Over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid.
2. In batches, sauté the mushrooms. Make sure not to crowd the pan so the mushrooms crisp up evenly.
3. Sauté for 4 minutes, flipping the mushrooms halfway through and seasoning with salt and fresh black pepper, to taste.
4. Add more butter and olive oil as needed for the second batch of mushrooms. Remove from the pan as well after seasoning.
5. Add a bit more olive oil and butter to the pan and toss in the spinach and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
6. Add the mushrooms back into the pan and create pockets for the eggs. Crack an egg into each pocket and cover immediately with the lid.
7. Let the eggs cook for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes. Do not lift that lid! This ensures the egg whites cook from the top as well as the bottom. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
8. Crumble goat cheese over top and serve with toasted bread.