Refresh your Room on a Budget
Want to breathe new life into your room? However, your wallet says "not now". Don't fret – we all have been there and everyone needs a good refresh from time to time, and there is no need to blow big dollars on it. Or be limited by a budget.
We did some digging and found a few ways you can give your room a fresh new look and feel.
- Add a statement wall. There are some cost friendly wallpaper that are available in fun prints that can help you create a full gallery wall. Or you can opt for a statement colour and paint the chosen accent wall. Another idea is create a statement wall with decor. We have suggested some ideas here.
- Plants can always help make a room feel fresh and inviting. There are a number of plants that are low maintenance and will thrive no matter what. That is what we need – something that is invincible. Check out our tips on House Plant for beginners. Also, you can support small local businesses like chezfleur and they have the best plants and advice.
- You can't go wrong with a new rug. You can find something simple or something wild that ties in the colours of your room. It also adds that extra warmth to any space. Wayfair is a good place to start and their customer service is remarkable. You don't end up loving it – you can return it.
- Windows are often neglected in a room. You sometimes get so busy buying the perfect furniture and selecting the right paints, that more often than not, we skimp on the window coverings. Window treatments don’t have to be expensive. You can simply find sheer curtains to frame the window and it will still let the sunlight in when closed.
- Accent pieces are the ticket! Swap out some of your old accent pieces that you feel might have been lived and loved for too long. Try some new blankets, throw pillows or even a new lamp or artwork (you can even paint your own)! This will add a new personality and feel to the room.
- A statement piece! If you prefer to splurge on once piece vs a number of small accent pieces, you can always opt for a large oversized mirror to lean against a wall, which can also offer the illusion of a larger room.
- Replacing hardware is a great way to update existing furniture (without having to buy new furniture). You can purchase brass pulls, wooden handles, even leather straps to replace on dresser drawers or cabinets. Another option might be to repaint your furniture. Mango Reclaimed has some DIY ideas to give your favourite pieces new life.
- If you don't want to spend any dollars right now – think about rearranging your furniture. Moving things around or borrowing from other rooms to find a new spot for some items will offer a new look. By simply moving the seating around, or moving the console to another space in the room can make it feel new and more open.
- You can also move around your existing accent pieces. Find a new spot for our display items. Regroup your family pictures in a new spot, add candles where you used to have magazines. You may find that you have missed some items hiding in various spots – bring them out to the open to enjoy.
- Bringing it back full circle, we talked about an accent wall and painting it a bold colour – but what about the whole room? Reinvigorate your space with a new stylish colour. Dark paints can add a sophistication to the room. Lighter blues and greys can offer softer and tranquil feeling. Work with what you have and take a chance on focusing on the bold and colourful!
At the OLVE, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We are not affiliated nor do we have an advertising partnerships with the brands we may feature.
Image courtesy of Mango Reclaimed